Saturday, May 2, 2009

Twisty Little Missions, All Alike

I cancelled City of Heroes again. I came back because of the Mission Architect system, and thought it was a really great addition to the game. Unfortunately, while it's a great idea to let players architect their missions, City of Heroes missions just aren't that fun, no matter who writes them. For me, every mission feels like running around a maze hunting for randomly placed stuff. That's fun on occasion, but I got bored of it quickly, because it doesn't take long to see behind the curtain.

I have probably subscribed to City of Heroes for six months, no two months consecutively. I actually like City of Heroes a lot; I just don't want to pay $15 a month to play something I would never want to sink more than 10 hours a month on. (And, no, the fact it's the same cost as a movie ticket doesn't work as an argument for me: that's apples and oranges.)

Why don't MMOs have cheaper, time limited, payment plans ($5 a month with a 15 hour limit?) I'd probably subscribe to far more games if they did...

2 comments:

Crimson Starfire said...

I'll most likely be following suit soon. Same reason.

Anonymous said...

That's exactly why I've never been able to spend more than a couple of weeks playing CoH/CoV. The repetition sets in very very fast.