Wednesday, June 3, 2009

FFXIV Online Will Be Casual Friendly

From the Square Enix E3 Live Blog:

12:01
Q: What influence have games like World of WarCraft have on the development of FFXIV?
12:02
A: As with WoW, we want to aim a bit for the casual user. However, we don't want to make a copy of WoW. We believe we will have things that are unique and will stand out from that game.

Thank goodness. Hopefully it will retain the unique qualities of FFXI without becoming a second job that *I* pay for.

I am a happy man right now.

4 comments:

Tesh said...

I wonder if that also means a nicely scaling engine that can run on a toaster. That's one of those "boring tech things" that makes WoW actually work.

I'm tentatively encouraged from what I hear so far, though.

Lars said...

I hope it doesn't - I don't want to play a game with Atari 2600 graphics (like WoW.) While gameplay is more important than graphics, I want both.

Tesh said...

Well, that's the point of a *scaling* engine. It could both run on a toaster, or if you're lucky enough to have a rig that can run AoC on high DX10 mode, it would do that, too. ;)

Anonymous said...

We will see if the game is casual friendly or not after the FFXIV beta starts.